Friday, May 22, 2009

An Interview with Outbreak






Outbreak of TBI/Ivy Leegue got up with the infamous Erin over at Ink Spot Tattoo in L.A. and had an Interview....you can check it out here exclusively.



IE: They say 'art imitates life'. Having said that, would you agree that hip hop music is suffering from its own recession of sorts?

Outbreak: I agree to an extent. All music is going through their own recession of sorts, but i think hip hop is suffering the most. People aren't spending money on hip hop albums anymore because the ppl in hip hop aren't proven to be worth the money of consumers anymore. But thats not me saying its their fault for being horrible artist, that might not even be their route. The crooked business behind music these days with these faulty contracts and so many 1 hit wonders...ppl are losing faith in hip hop...but there are some saviors out their, really great artist who are keepin the heartbeat pumpin

IE: Would you consider yourself to be one of these so-called "saviors" of hip hop? Who else would you put on that list? Give me your starting line up .

OB: I hope i can be put into that category one day...im payin my dues now. If i had to give MY starting line up of hip hop artist that are known....my starting 5 would be (in no particular order) Eminem, Andre 3000, Mos Def, Kanye, Jay-Z (but jay gotta give me that black album swag, that i really feel like im about to retire so im goin out HARD jay)

IE: So Jay can't bring it like Kobe then? He's gotta be like the Gasol or the Ariza of the team? What do you feel YOUR contributions to hip hop could do for the genre?

OB: Best i can say is, and no diss to wayne cuz i love wayne, but i was an alien before ppl really knew who wayne was. I feel like im so ahead of my time, which is why i kno me and wayne would come up with some crazy shit together in the lab. Really anybody i work with some crazy shit is gonna happen, cuz im open minded, im IN LOVE with music. i dont care about the money, every single penny i make is gonna be spent on family and friends (of course investing in things...but thats family and friends already haha). I feel like me as a producer, once im given a chance to really show my full potential and bring on my team of also AMAZINGGGGGG producers (shout out to Nas550, Jmoe, Jmac, Ryan aka Think, Skuba, IVY LEEGUE HO) ppl will get a really big breath of fresh air

IE: Sounds like you know a lot of amazing people! Are you part juggler? You're balancing quite a lot these days, from what I hear. . .

OB: I have to stay on the grind...ppl will all get a chance to see what ive been setting up. Its a chess game, im just waitin to make the move.....July 1st, 2009 and on is when ppl will start to see the legacy began to unfold

IE: The Legacy, eh? Would that include yourself, Ivy Leegue, Quantum Leap, TBI, Skuba AND The Perfect Team, by any chance?

OB: The Legacy is Ivy Leegue, all of those names mentioned above are a part of this whole Ivy Leegue movement. Its just a huge team of incredible talent and more and more people are starting to catch on to what we're doing and so far we havent had any bad reviews

IE: So tell me a little [or a lot!] about this team and these 'incredible talents'.

OB: We'll Ivy Leegue is a brand in my eyes. That name is bigger than the music, that name is gonna bring anyone who attatches themselves to it everything they've dreamed of because Ivy Leegue is a family brand. Built from family, ground up. Lets start from the top: Ivy Leegue=Skuba, Outbreak & Jmoe...we're like the deans. Skuba is an INCREDIBLE talent, that to me, is definitely gonna become a great in the game, regardless of color, he's a great artist, if he was asian i'd say the same thing about him. Jmoe is a genius engineer/producer...once he gets into his mode its a wrap, and with me behing him on the production and also a helping ear its crazy. Also Skuba gets behind the boards, plays the keys (can read music and is classically trained on the piano). We have great muscians and producers that are down with us that contribute to Skubas sound. The Acedemy (RAW RAW PRODUCERS), John V....all ima say about him is john mayor watch out haha... or just collab with him...it'll add on to the millions of grammys you already have haha. The Perfect Team is basically a production team which is myself, Jmoe, Jmac whenever we get the chance to work on a track it comes out great so we just started calling ourselves the perfect team when we worked together, and stuck with it. TBI is a band of brothers each one a Moon amongst stars. TBI (which stands for The Bad Influence) consist of Jason Cabacungan (Choreographer on the come up check him out www.myspace.com/jasoncabacungan...Jason is a part of Atlantas well known Swagger Crew www.myspace.com/theswaggercrew) Regi Cabrera, Fabian Gohier, Dale Puyot and Myself. We basically are just a bunch of goofy brothers out in the streets of atlanta to promote Ivy Leegue and Swagger Crew, we just know a lot of the right ppl. Lets just say we're surrounded by stars.... Quantum Leap is my heart, my baby, thas my Production Company which consist of my partner in crime Ashley Bowman (Paralegal x Promotions extrodinaire)....shes gonna be as known as wendy day in the future...and Ryan he's got a great ear and his promotion skills are incredible...he's like my A&R. And I have an arsenol of artist im working with on the side....ones whos name i'll say that yall will be hearin from in the future...SageTheInfinite. Then the clothing companies....Damjn is family (www.myspace.com/damjn www.thedamjnproject.blogspot.com). They were the first to give Ivy Leegue a chance and we've built from the ground up with them from the jump. It's gonna be fun to watch what we grow into. Also much love goes out to Bastard and Friends (www.bastardandfriends.com)...they are a big part of this Ivy Leegue movement as well

IE: Speaking of clothing companies, I've seen evidence of a very rude t.shirt floating around, and it's got ALL of your names ALL over it. . .GOTCHODUMBASS. Explain!

OB: hahaha....thats one of them TBI moments. Put it this way, its for everybody out there who's ever been slept on and had something to prove. Or it's just for one of them moments where you rockin it and you see somebody trip and fall on somethin....what better thing to have on than something sayin "GOTCHODUMBASS" haha

IE: Haha, got it *ties shoes*. If you had to send a box of GOTCHODUMBASS t.shirts to ANYone in the music industy, from the CEOs and Presidents to the Hype Men. . .Who's on your mailing list?

OB: Im not gonna say any names, but they'll have a big box full comin in from UPS one day in the future...enjoy those haha

IE: So, 2008 seemed to be the Year of the Gimmick, with auto-tune and these corny wack dance songs (Have you done the Ricky Bobby yet??). 2009 looked like year of the Comeback. What do you hope 2010 will bring, musically?

OB: Rebirth.....a rid of the pollution and a breath of fresh air

IE: There's a ship headed to Garbage Island. Which 5 rappers/producers/groups are you puttin on it?

OB: Haha, you tryin to make me look like the bad guy of the production realm. The best way to answer this question is, one mans trash is another mans treasure...we'll let that group of ppl stay on their island and have fun with what they do.

IE: Haha, not trying to trap you, just want to know where you think the problem is.

OB: The problem is ppl being afraid to really say FUCK YOU and do what makes them happy, not what a piece of paper tells them to do. People lost the passion for music and gained a huge lust for the dollar bill, thats where the problem is....folks will do anything for a dollar, even if they really dont want to...its sad.

(this is the section i called 20,000 Leegues Under the Sea. HA!)

IE: I just spoke with Skuba and JMoe not too long ago. They're both VERY excited to be pushing this new project of Skuba's (which makes ME very excited! ) What's your take on it?

OB: Planet Swag is a great mixtape. It's hard to even call it a mixtape because 97% of the songs on there were exclusive songs. This mixtape is ahead of its time, so if our mixtapes sound like this, imagine what we got in store for the actual album If you havent heard planet swag then what are you waitin on? www.downloadplanetswag.com

IE: I know that they'll be visiting my hometown (LA/Inglewood) soon, as part of the promotional tour. Will you be there?

OB: You'll def see Outbreak in the building!

IE: Yes! I haven't seen you in a minute, my guy. It'll be good to have you in town. LA's definitely in for a treat. . .What are some downfalls to not being able to physically be present with Skuba and JMoe as they being the pushing Planet Swag?

OB: As long as we all put in our grinds on both coasts there won't be a downfall. It's all about communication, as long as I know what they're doing out there, and vice versa, we'll be straight....I mean im in the mecca right now Atlanta, Ga and I have a strong team behind Us over here. The glass is always half full, cuz im always thirsty haha

IE: What were some common goals the three of you set out to reach while working on Planet Swag?

OB: Mainly to show that we're very versital producers, everything we did on our own, production, recordin, mixing, mastering. We're a team of people ready for a Label deal because we have everything we need to really make good quality music. We also wanted to show Skubas growth since the release of the Mr. Superbad The Radio Mixtape (Released Last Fall).

IE: You seem to be surrounding yourself with a pretty multi-faceted group there, but what about you? You seem to only give fans one side of yourself, but you know we're all dying to know what behind the mixing boards and microphones. Tell us a little about Bernard. Tell us about the image you want to project and the message you want your fans to get.

OB: Bernard is a human being. He makes mistakes just like you and everyone else. Ive done some hurtful things in the past but thats just what that is, and i've learned from all of it. My life haunts me everyday, thats one thing a lot of ppl don't know about me. But a lot of ppl wouldn't know that because I do everything I can to keep everyone around me smiling. When im around love is when im at my best, when im around negativity is when im at my best, the only time you'll see the worst of me is if you are me....We're all our own worst enemies, so i keep myself close at all times cuz im also my best friend. Im the most down to earth, goofy person you'll ever meet. Very outspoken, and a lot of ppl dont like that about me but eh.......The truth hurts, and a lot of ppl call me the truth

IE: What are some of the similarities and differences you see in Bernard and Outbreak?

OB: Outbreak is confident and a silent cocky, Bernard is passive aggressive pessimist...Im growing though and getting better as the days go...But whats reality without negativity...I always hope and pray for the best, but prepare for the worst ya know. I think Bernard learns a lot from Outbreak....when im on stage with skuba or in the studio working on a song i know is hot, theres nothing that can stop me....its when im alone with nothing to do but think think think is when it goes downhill

IE: Who gets more ladies? Hahahah.

OB: Man neither one of my personas get ladies and if ladies are feelin me i kno nothing of it. I'm not one to go around messin with a bunch of chicks like that anyway....im trying to build a legacy not only with my music but also with a family...need to find someone that can handle me when im depressed and KNOW that i will always come around i just have my moments. Im passionate in everything that i put my heart into, so when it comes to love im tryin to find another alien whos ready for my world and is ready to start from the base and build up from there and never give up no matter how hard things get...cuz if they knew my struggle and grind and the hell i had to go through to get to where im at NOW with my music and how i never gave up....they'd know that when i say "i love you"...i really mean it

IE: Well, thanks so much for allowing us this glimpse into the [hectic and crazy!] life and times of Bernard/Outbreak. As always it's been a pleasure talking to you, and I am sure we will be speaking much more in the future.

OB: Nah, Thank YOU for being interested in someone so uninteresting haha

IE: lol

you can follow Erin@ www.twitter.com/inglewood_erin

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Follow meeeeeee!!!